Thursday, February 25, 2010

Educational Computer Software

Of the three types of educational computer software that we've discussed so far in class, the one that I would most gravitate towards would be the constructivist, student-centered inquiry software. I could see myself using this type of software in the form of applications like webquests and scavenger hunts. In my opinion, there is plenty of time in the course of a school year for a teacher to directly instruct their students with lectures and "how to" lessons. The computer, however, is the tool of the future, and I feel that we teachers should take a step back and let students acclimate to using it at their own individual pace. I must always remember that, at some point, my students are going to know quite a bit more about computers and the internet than I do. Some, in fact, already do. Therefore, by putting the students' inquiry at the heart of their computer use, I feel that they would accomplish what their teachers request while at the same time operating within their comfort zone. Additionally, from personal experience, I can attest that teacher-led computer instruction is somewhat futile; most of the students are steps ahead or behind, deeming the actual lesson pointless. If teachers "cut the kids loose", so to speak, then it would free themselves to address individual questions that students might have. Also, it puts the accountability of getting the work done in the hands of the students, which, in my opinion, is what many schools fail to strive for.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pete:

    You have an excellent point about allowing the students to use technology at their own pace. Your comment reminded me of a bit in the Oppenheimer book about students at Tech High teaching classes. It might be a cool activity to allow high school students to develop and teach a short lesson involving teaching others how to use technological tool related to the course subject. I think they would gain a great understanding, with proper guidance and facilitation from the instructor, on the challenges of using technology and of keeping people on the same page, so to speak. This would inspire a great deal of thought about metacognigition as well. It might be a good way to give them an outlet for what they are good at--using technology, yet hold their interest in terms of learning some other components as well. As we all know, teaching something is also a great way to really learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting remarks given what I take to be-in you-a pretty advanced skill set when it comes to the computer. Cutting the kids loose to find "their own way" is a good idea but may be rife with "diversion from the lesson"? The responsibility and supervision with the use of computers in the classroom must come from the teacher which you mention. Easier said than done I'm sure. Good idea from above re: getting the students in front of the class to handle teaching a short lesson--if its something they're interested in then the sense of ownership will inspire them to do their best. In some ways I think it may be very difficult to lead a class in graphic design say, unless the instructor has capability to monitor the classes network from their own computer. I saw this during my observation at East Leyden HS and there seemed to be no problems. In fact, in some ways it was an ideal classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you wrote that raises an interesting point to me is that "the students should work at their own pace." From one standpoint I agree with you, but I also had the thought that what if that is what we did with teachers. What if we let teachers use their technology at their own pace, and really I am talking all types of technology (overhead projectors, dry erase boards, computers, even some visual aides etc)? Many teachers choose not to use these tools in the classroom as they are unfamiliar with them and don't have to. Many teachers who have taught something one way for years and know that previous students have learned the material see no reason to try a different method to teach the same concept. Sometimes teachers try new methods which are fantastic and sometimes they fail or work as well as the previous method. Is the teacher any worse off for trying the new method? Could the students be any better or worse by trying a software outside of their comfort zone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. I also believe that students know much more about technology then teachers do. It's easier for them to learn new things and they spend more time using technology. I think we should often learn from kids. I like the idea of "cutting them loose" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of the challenge in teaching that incorporates technology is teaching both the subject content, and the tech skills. While they will learn a lot of the tech skills on their own with minimal guidance (and as you note, they may be more adept at this than the teacher), making sure they acquire the content knowledge in the course of using the technology will be perhaps the bigger part of the challenge.

    jd

    ReplyDelete